In laser skin resurfacing, sometimes called a "laser peel," either a carbon dioxide (CO2) laser or an erbium laser Fraxel® is used to remove areas of damaged or wrinkled skin, layer by layer. The procedure is most commonly used to minimize the appearance of fine lines, especially around the mouth and the eyes. However, it is also effective in treating facial scars or areas of uneven pigmentation. Laser resurfacing may be performed on the whole face or in specific regions. Often, the procedure is done in conjunction with another cosmetic operation, such as a facelift or eyelid surgery.
 
How do laser treatments work?
With facial resurfacing, a high-energy beam of CO2 light is used to vaporize lines, wrinkles, scars, dark spots and other irregularities, layer by layer. This process also stimulates the formation over time of new, underlying collagen to provide better elasticity and support for the skin. A Fraxel® laser treats less than 20% of the skin surface at a time by fractionating or leaving the remaining 80% area of skin untreated resulting in less downtime and faster healing.
 
Can laser technology be used less invasively for treating milder indications?
With laser technology, skin resurfacing is so precise that you can tailor treatment according to the nature and extent of skin damage, skin type and individual requirements for recovery time.
 
Can CO2 laser technology be used for deeper wrinkles?
When addressing moderate to severe wrinkles, true high-energy short-pulsed CO2 technology has proven to be the superior modality. Significant improvement can be appreciated, but often requires a series of treatments for maximal benefit.
 
What results can I expect, and how long will the benefits of laser treatment last?
Laser resurfacing can improve your skin to a healthy state, similar to that of skin that has not experienced the severe sun damage or scarring. With proper sun protection, results can persist for more than five years. In areas where muscle activity is strong, lines may begin to reappear sooner. After laser lower eyelid surgery, the cosmetic improvement is usually sustained even longer. As skin continues to age at a normal rate, you may need to maintain results with a 'touch-up' resurfacing treatment. The Fraxel re:store® is the most widely used non-ablative fractional skin resurfacing laser system and is great for treatments and touch-up's. The Fraxel® treatment is proven effective for Sun damaged skin, fine periorbital wrinkles, acne scars, surgical scars, burn scars, melasma, and actinic keratoses.